Monday, November 10, 2008

Isn't Reading Amazing!


As I've watched my 2 1/2 year old daughter, Emmy, embark on the journey of literacy, I have been utterly and truly amazed. Among my amazements are: the way she holds a book, the way she handles the pages, the way she points to objects in a book, the way she acknowledges the characters and understands their plight, the way her voice raises and lowers in tempo as she reads, the way her face lights up with each new book adventure. I have always loved books and am absolutely delighted to be sharing this love with my daughter. As a teacher of young children, I have been lucky enough to be surrounded by wonderful authors and illustrators of children's literature. Now I get to experience these books again only this time with my precious baby girl. I can still remember when Emmy first used her hands to turn the pages in a book that we were reading. She was just two months old - it brought tears to my eyes. My hope with this blog is to create a place where I can store these memories and share them with others.

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand your view with Emerson and her books... and I would know;) Since she was less than a year old, she would turn the pages of her book and she knew when you were finished reading that page~ It was amazing! Now when I read to her, I leave words out so she can read them. It seems as if she has memorized every book she has, and that's tons! You left out another of her favorites, "Olivia". She understands the concept of the story, even though some may have thought it was above her level. Emerson is too cute and I hope this early interest in books gets her far. It is such an inspiration to get children at such a young age to love books! *Krissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, our family is very lucky to have a wonderful babysitter who engages Emmy in books and play. Thanks, Krissy! And I added Olivia to the list :)

    ReplyDelete