Monday, November 10, 2008

From birth to 2 1/2 years old


Before I start with Emmy's Book of the Day, I wanted to take a moment to record some of her reading adventures up to this point. When Emmy was a baby, many of our outings were to local bookstores where she and I would scour the bookshelves looking at all of the wonderful books to read. I remember a time early on when Emmy sat on her knees and methodically pulled every book off of one of the shelves. I did not stop her. I only watched and as I did I witnessed a gleam in her eye that some may have mistaken for mischievousness, but I saw the beginnings of an avid reader (we did put the books back on the shelf). We progressed from pulling books down to finding corners in the children's book section to sit in where we could quietly read together and in so doing we could imagine what the characters were thinking and feeling. At times, we had to get up and move the way the book character(s) might have moved - like when we read Going On A Bear Hunt by Helen Oxenbury. This book was made to move! With gorgeous illustrations switching from black and white to color and wonderful sound effects (Swishy swashy! Swishy swashy! Swishy swashy!) we just couldn't resist. Nowadays, I watch as my daughter chooses books and reads on her own. An absolutely amazing sight!

Some of our favorite books through the years (well two and a half years - so far):
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Goodnight Gorilla by Peggy Rathman
Go Dog Go! by P.D. Eastman
Hands Can by Cheryl Willis Hudson
Peekaboo Morning by Rachel Isadora
I Went Walking by Sue Williams
Chicka, Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr. and John Archambault
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin, Jr.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Trains by Byron Barton
Mrs. Wishy Washy by Joy Cowley
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins
Gossie by Olivier Dunrea
Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson
Olivia by Ian Falconer

And so many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment