Monday, May 11, 2009

The Carrot Seed

I find comfort in things that have endured for many years. Take the Crayola Crayon for instance. The first box of eight Crayola Crayons was introduced in 1903. Invented by cousins Edwin Binney and C. Harold Smith, the crayons sold for a nickel a box and came in black, brown, blue, red, purple, orange, yellow, and green. Feeling the slight weight of the crayon in my hand and smelling its unmistakable scent takes me directly back to my own childhood. What joy I found in spending the morning busily working with paper and crayons. This joy continues as I watch Emmy carefully choose a crayon and transform her white paper into a world of color.

And who could forget the classic board game Candy Land! Invented in 1949, Candy Land has been a beloved game with children for 60 years now. The game was first invented by Eleanor Abbott to keep herself busy while she was recovering from polio. Children loved the game so much that she submitted it to Milton Bradly where it went on to become the number one top selling preschool game of all time. Of course I remember playing this game as a child and then teaching my nieces and nephews to play. This past Christmas, Emmy's Aunt and Uncle gave her Candy Land and together we continue the board game tradition.

And so we come to a children's book that has also endured the test of time. The Carrot Seed was first published in 1945 and has never been out of print. The combination of Ruth Krauss's simple text and Crockett Johnson's (of Harold and the Purple Crayon fame) eloquent illustrations creates a triumphant and deeply satisfying story for readers of all ages. I have always thought that children's books carry more meaning than many novels do and in less than 20 pages. This book is a fine example of that. With childhood determination, a young boy shows, through the planting of a seed, that with faith anything is possible!

Rediscovering the joys of my own childhood has been one of the most amazing aspects of becoming a parent. Emmy allows me to become that child again. The one who was not afraid of anything and ran full force into every new adventure. Through her I see the possibility of every day being lived to its fullest. I am forever grateful to my little girl!May the light always shine within you!

2 comments:

  1. That was beautiful! Ann Rayner sent me your website a while back and I just now got caught up! I have enjoyed reading your posts and thank you for the great advice/reviews on recently read or found books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you are following my blog. I enjoy reading children's books and love sharing my findings with others. Thank you for the comment!

    ReplyDelete