Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Winnie-the-Pooh


Celebrate with Emmy and me the birthday of A. A. Milne!

Born in London on January 18, 1882, Milne is perhaps the greatest children's storyteller of all time. His most notable works are about a lovable bear named Winnie-the-Pooh. Pooh was first introduced to the world in 1924 with the publication of a book of verses titled When We Were Very Young. The 38th verse in the book, "Teddy Bear," was Pooh's first appearance. Bringing this adorable bear to life through illustration was the very talented Ernest Shepard.


A bear, however hard he tries,
Grows tubby without exercise.
Our teddy Bear is short and fat,
Which is not to be wondered at.
But do you think it worries him
To know that he is far from slim?
No, just the other way about -
He's proud of being short and stout.

Following this first book of verses came Winnie the Pooh (1926), Now We Are Six (1927) and The House on Pooh Corner (1928).
A. A. Milne was inspired to write the Pooh stories after watching his son Christopher Robin playing with his stuffed animals. Milne's books continue to delight me and it is my hope that they will do the same for Emmy. She is already in love with all of the characters who live in The Hund
red Acre Wood and delights in their antics. She giggles at Pooh's tummy whenever it rumbles and that happens quite often! She can be heard announcing that "there is a rumbly in my tumbly!" whenever she is feeling like a little smackerel of something good to eat!

Continuing our love for poetry, Emmy and I have been reciting this poem quite often (from the
Tiddly Pom
(Tiddly Pom)
The more it goes
(Tiddly Pom)
The more it goes
(Tiddly Pom)
On snowing.

And nobody knows
(Tiddly Pom)
How cold my toes
(Tiddly Pom)
How cold my toes
(Tiddly Pom)
Are growing.

And we've been listening to the songs Return to Pooh Corner by Kenny Loggins and Winnie the Pooh written by the Sherman Brothers.

I am bubbling with excitement about the upcoming Winnie the Pooh movie premiering in July of 2011. Having watched many episodes of My Friends Tigger and Pooh with Emmy, I am looking forward to seeing the characters once again portrayed as they were in the film The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977) through classic hand-drawn animation. The new film will feature the vocal talents of Jim Cummings as Pooh and Tigger, Peter Cullen as Eeyore, Tom Kenny as Rabbit, Craig Ferguson as Owl and John Cleese as the narrator. Here's a look at the trailer for the film (Emmy and I both love the featured song Somewhere Only We Know by Keane).


"Sometimes Winnie-the-Pooh likes a game of some sort when he comes downstairs, and sometimes he likes to sit quietly in front of the fire and listen to a story. This evening...
“What about a story?” said Christopher Robin.
“What about a
story?” I said.
“Could you very sweetly tell Winnie-the-Pooh one?”
“I suppose I could,” I said. “What sort of stories does he like?”
“About himself. Because he’s that sort of Bear.”

~Winnie the Pooh Chapter One: In Which~

Now off you go to enjoy your own story about Winnie-the-Pooh with your favorite little one!

4 comments:

  1. I must read these with my kids. Like so many classics, Winnie the Pooh has sort of been pushed to one side because there are just so many good books out there. Crazy really, isn't it. Anyway, your post has encourage me to get out our copy and find time to read it, so thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, we haven't read much from AA Milne. This year, his birthday fell in between our celebration for Kate McMullan and Tedd Arnold. We will definitely try to catch him next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe - I hope that you have found the time to read a bit of Winnie the Pooh. A.A. Milne had such an interesting writing style. I've definitely been enjoying your posts lately. I need to stop by and comment!!!! Thanks for staying in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric - A.A. Milne was always a favorite birthday to celebrate with the young children that I taught. They really enjoyed getting to know the personalities of each of the characters and then coming dressed up as one of them. My daughter is almost five years old and seemed to appreciate A.A. Milne's humor. Thanks for commenting and I look forward to being in touch.

    ReplyDelete